I love random phrases; more specifically, I love phrases for which the context is unknown. The title of this blog is taken from one of my personal favorites, a quote from Ernest Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises.
I found another one of my favorites while I was reading a book for one of my literature class. This specific section was about how the term literature was too broad to cover the many different types of literature there are; one person’s view on what literature is different from another person’s. To illustrate his point, the author made a connection with the word weed, which covers all sorts of plants. To some, a dandelion is a weed while to others, it is a beautiful flower. This, of course, led to the greatest line ever written… of all time.
“Perhaps literature is like weed.”
I laughed for about a minute and a half.
This fascination with random phrases is ironic, because in any other part of my life, I would hate for things to be random. I enjoy routine. If something goes other than according to plan, I don’t know what to do with myself. I know what day of the week it is only because what I did yesterday tells me what day that was. Routine is very important to me. But do something other than what I expect while reading, and I laugh for a minute and a half.
I really think you need to do an essay on the multiplicty of word meanings. Use a particular set of words and let the meanings spiral out and interconnect as they will.
ReplyDelete