I put my wallet in a different pocket the other day.
Riveting, right?
After being informed that keeping my wallet in the front pocket of my pants was stupid and that it should be placed in the back pocket, I decided to give that a try. After all, I had often puzzled over the fact that my pockets frequently felt overstuffed. Maybe the slight change in the routine arrangement of things in my pockets would actually be beneficial; the extra room might do me good someday.
You wouldn’t believe how much that simple act of wallet relocation threw my day for a loop. Everything in me wanted to react to this new feeling of something behind me; it took constant reminding to remember the fact that it was just my wallet and it was supposed to be there.
Want to reach behind me and remove the object that accidentally attached itself to the seat of my pants? Nope, that’s my wallet and it’s supposed to be there. Want to do something about that thing that I just sat on? Nope, that’s my wallet, and it’s supposed to be there.
Imagine if I had changed an actually significant part of my routine, like what I ate or where I went.
Scary.
I really enjoy posts like this. The small impacts of small changes that add up to be bigger than we expect are just interesting and relatable. And the brevity of your sentences supports that collective idea well. Nice job.
ReplyDelete